Tuesday, May 20, 2008

New Things

I am excited to say that in exactly one month we are moving!!! This house was small to begin. When I say small I mean small. It is less than 1000 square feet. Over 1/4 of that is the girls room. Which now houses two sets of bunk beds a crib and last but not least our refrigerator. It won't fit in the kitchen for two reasons, first it is too tall to fit under the cabinet and second we couldn't fit our table in the kitchen if it were in there. The table takes up the table space and the fridge space and it is the smallest 6 person table you can get. I call this our mouse house. Not only is it tiny but it has no dishwasher. That means I spend at least an hour and often two hours a day doing dishes. Then there is the fact the washer and dryer are in the basement. I have the hardest time making sure all four kids are secure for ten minutes without getting hurt or hurting one another to go down and sort and do laundry. Actually we are buying my Dad's super duper capacity washer and dryer. They are the front loader LG ones. He bought them a while back and never even brought them in the house. They have been in storage. I am planning on having the set I have now hooked up at the new house too! Our new house is a tri-level so our laundry room is off of our family room. Which will actually be the play/homeschool room! I have decided to homeschool T. I was actually going to wait until he finished kindergarten. There are several things that have changed my mind but mostly if there is any year that will be fun it is the one coming up! I haven't picked curriculum yet but I have been doing tons of research. I think we will have a blast this next year! K will go to the public school in our district I would homeschool her but her Dad isn't quite sure this year. He said he will research it and think about it. The school district we will be in is supposed to be pretty good. She is in a charter school now, I absolutely love the atmosphere and I love the teachers but what I don't love is the testing. They do test called District Assessments (DA) They take them about once very week or two. They are the equivalent of the meap test (they do still take the meap). They have to get a 70% or higher to pass. If they don't they get held back the following year. They are doing these so much that they have very little time for regular class work. The math teacher told us during conferences that she needed to teach them division but she needed us to do it at home because they were so consumed with the DA's. Her handwriting is all but illegible but never has a comment been made because they don't have time to work on that. A lot of the kids that started Kindergarten with K are leaving. When we told her she would be changing schools she said she didn't mind because most of her friends were leaving too. This is going to be a big month. I am really excited! Oh yeah, I got a Dyson yesterday and I love it! I got the bigger one with the ball (the DC25) so it turns easily. T vacuumed his room all by himself because it turned so easily (he loves to vacuum)! http://www.dyson.com/

4 Comments:

At May 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Kfrank said...

Hope that Dyson is in a safe place! I wouldn't want it to get stolen or anything!

 
At May 20, 2008 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Sara said...

sounds like good days ahead for the chambers! tri levels are awesome houses for big families. you'll be a great home school teacher!

 
At May 21, 2008 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Pat said...

If the fridge is in the bedroom, it's time to move!
I've always loved tri-levels, sounds perfect for a young family.
You will be a wonderful home school teacher - your kids will bring you an apple, I'm sure!

 
At May 24, 2008 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Gina said...

Hi! Wow, exciting times!
To answer your question, no curriculum for this household. We're going with the Charlotte Mason method which is basically a really strong foundation in living books. SimplyCharlotteMason.com and Amblesideonline.com are great starting points. I'd also look into Carole Joy Seid (soundword.com). She has some great ideas as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home